Below is a list of excellent books, CDs, websites and other resources which have poems as Gaeilge for primary school children. The resources cover all class levels from Junior Infants – 6th class. You don’t need to buy them all! Take a look and see which appeals most and start with one or two.
Books with CDs:
- Gugalaí gug – A great book for rannta tradisiúnta Gaailge suitable from Infants – 6th class. It costs €16.95 from siopaancarn.com
- Mo Cheol Thú – Poems and songs for 3rd – 6th You buy the CD and the lyrics book separately.
- Rannta: Hup Hup a Chapaillín – A CD with 30 poems for children. The cost is €25 for the book and CD, or €6 for the book on its own.
- Bróga Nua 2 – A collection of 100 poems and songs as Gaeilge, organised by theme and with accompanying English translations. It has songs and poems for all calss levels. Cost is €22 from An Siopa Gaeilge.
- Rabhlaí Rabhlaí is an excellent book and CD with 31 traditional rhymes in Irish for children which are set to music. It was available through the CDU in Mary Immaculate College, but appears to be out of print. I have seen copies available on adverts.ie and on Amazon or if you are lucky, there may be a copy already in your school.
- Fearasscoile – This website has a large collection of rannta agus dánta for all class levels.
- Teanga Tí – This website has posters with popular rannta and some songs too!
- Padlet – Máire Nic and Rí has created a collection of rannta, dánta agus amhráin do pháistí óga
- Séideán Sí – The poems included in the Séideán Sí programme are available to buy as CDs, but they also have them for free on their website where you can download them. You have to click into the class level, then “Taispeáin” on the “Áiseanna Breise Ranga” section.
If you are looking for songs in Irish, I have a separate blog post which outlines some excellent resources here.
I hope this has been helpful. If you know of any other good resources for rannta agus dánta please leave a comment below!
Note: These are my own suggestions based on extensive research. I have not been paid or asked to mention any of these resources or websites!