Long Term Plans
The plans include all sections recommended in the NIPT long-term planning template and guidelines so they are also suitable for use during the Dip. They contain aims, strands and strand units, list all objectives from the curriculum, outline skills and concepts to be developed where appropriate, give details of approaches and methodologies, list resources, outline assessment and differentiation strategies, and give possible areas of integration with other subjects.
These plans were designed to work with any scheme you are using and are fully editable Microsoft Word documents so that they can easily be changed if you are following a particular scheme.
Your purchase includes the following:
- A 13 page, very detailed plan which contains many suggested learning activities in addition to the required sections (aims, objectives, strands, strand units, skills and concepts, methodologies, integration, differentiation, assessment).
- If you are following a particular scheme and wish to include the content from this, most publishers have a document on their online resources with a monthly breakdown of their content and if you wish you can include this in the plan. As an example of how to do this, I have included the table from the Operation Maths scheme, but this can easily be edited to whatever scheme you want to use, or can be deleted entirely, as it is not an essential part of the plan and the plan is not based on the Operation Maths scheme.
- A very comprehensive, high quality 13 page yearly English plan, based on the draft New Primary Language Curriculum (PLC).
- The layout of the plans is based on the NCCA Primary Language Curriculum draft long term planning frameworks and took me hours of research, typing and formatting to complete. The plans contain the sections suggested by the NCCA in their planning framework, including general aims, the learning outcomes for each strand, methodologies, differentiation and assessment.
- In addition to the required sections above, most teachers like to include a monthly breakdown of content, so the plans also have a comprehensive table containing suggested themes/ topics, content, resources, linkage and integration for each month. The picture books, poems etc. are suggestions that I have found work very well and this plan is not based on one particular scheme, and so these suggestions can easily be edited to suit your needs if you are following one.
- 2 comprehensive, high-quality plans for Gaeilge based on the draft New Primary Language Curriculum (PLC)
- The plans contain all of the required sections, mentioned above in the description of the English plans.
- If you are following a particular scheme and wish to include the content from this, in a similar way to maths, most publishers have a document on their online resources with a monthly breakdown of their content and if you wish you can include this in the plan. As an example of how to do this, I have included 2 versions of the plan, one with the table from the Abair Liom C scheme and a second version of the plan with the content section blank so you can fill it in with whatever content you wish if you do not follow a particular scheme.
- This plan covers the Walk Tall, Stay Safe and RSE programmes for 1st class.
All other subjects
- There is one plan for each of the other subjects with content suitable for 1st class. These are not based on any particular scheme or book but contain ideas/ suggestions for lessons that I have found worked well. If you wish to base the plans on a particular scheme, the content section can be easily changed, and the bulk of the plans (aims, objectives, strands, strand units, skills and concepts, methodologies, integration, differentiation, assessment), would remain the same.
Short Term Plans
These fortnightly plans are extremely detailed. Approximately 160 hours of work has gone into the short term plans alone!
Also included is a guide to short term planning for the Primary Language Curriculum and an example of one of the plans with the cuntas míosúil section filled in.
There are 2 fortnightly plans each for each month. As there is only 3 weeks in December, and much of this is usually given over to assessments and a Christmas play, there is only one, 3-week plan for this month. For March and April there are 3 sets of fortnightlies to take account of the 2-week Easter break closure.
The Gaeilge and English parts of the plans are based on the latest September 2019 version of the Primary Language Curriculum using templates that I created based on the suggestions from the PDST’s planning templates for the new Curriculum. I did not find the PDST templates clear enough or easy to use so I spent a full week working on my own templates for Irish and English.
The plans are based on a mixture of my own ideas and research as well as some textbooks, however they are not entirely based on specific schemes and can be edited to whatever you are using. More information on this is below:
- For maths the plans have my own suggested content as well as some suggested pages from the Operation Maths scheme.
- For Irish I have suggested poems, songs, and books that I found worked well with First Class. There is also suggested content from the Abair Liom C programme.
- For English, the suggestions are based on my own experience of what works well in First Class such as big books, poems, Oral language topics etc., however the grammar, and phonics suggestions come from Jolly Grammar 1.
- For SPHE the content is based on the Stay Safe, Walk Tall and RSE programmes for First Class.
- For all other subjects, the content is not based on any scheme, but on suggestions that I have tried and tested on First Class.
Don’t waste your evenings and weekends on stressful and tedious planning. These plans took hundreds of hours of work to prepare to save you the hassle!
A huge amount of time and effort was put into these plans and I am confident you will be very happy with your purchase. Positive reviews are very much appreciated to let other users know that these are quality plans. If you buy this plan bundle, and take the time to review it, as a thank you I will send you a sample first class timetable AND a comprehensive 6-page integration plan suggesting themes for the year and how different subjects can be integrated into these themes. This integration plan is aligned to the plans in this bundle.