Below is a list of books, CDs, websites and other resources which have songs in Irish for children at primary school level. The resources cover all class levels from Junior Infants – 6th class.
Song books with CDs
- D’Aon ghuth 1, 2 & 3: These books are not cheap, but they are worth the investment! They have really catchy songs as Gaeilge for a variety of themes. They come with a CD and the sheet music. Book 1 is for Infants, book 2 for the middle classes, and book 3 is for the senior classes. They are available from a number of supplies, including Schott Music, and Eason.
- Plúra Lúra agus na Bopóga: This is one of my all-time favourite song books for the younger classes. The songs are just gorgeous and range from really simple movement songs for Junior Infants to more challenging ones that would be suitable for 2nd. It costs approximately €12 and is available from siopagaeilge.ie.
- Mo cheol Thú – A CD and separate book with songs suitable from 3rd – 6th Available here.
- Peigín Leitir Mhóir – This is the second volume of songs which began with Gugalaí gug.
- Bliain na nAmhrán – Songs about the 4 seasons in this award winning book and CD. Costs approximately €17.
- Maidin sa Naíonra – A lovely CD for Junior and Senior Infants. Songs are categorised by theme e.g. “An Lóin”, “Ag Dul Abhaile”, “An Nollaig”. I use this CD a lot with the younger classes. It costs approximately €10.50.
- Amhráin do Pháistí – Another CD for the Junior Classes from the same makers as the previous CD mentioned. I have both and I got use out of them both with Infants – 1st class. It costs €10.50, also from siopaudar.ie
CDs with lyrics
- Irish Songs we Learned at School by John Spillane is a great CD to have for teaching the traditional Irish songs that I learned at school or the Gaeltacht back in the day! It is available from Amazonor com.
- An tAmhránaí Óg le Treasa Ní Cheannaigh agus Aidan O’Hara – A CD with 19 songs and lyrics included for children ages 7 and under.
- Canaimis le Chéile le Treasa Ní Cheannaigh agus Aidan O’Hara – A CD with 22 songs and lyrics included for children ages 7 to 10.
- Trup, Trup A Chapaillín – Amhráin do Pháistí le Cantairí óga Bhaile Átha Cliath – 14 songs for young children. Costs approximately €10.
- Picnic Teidí – a CD with 24 songs for Infants and pre-schoolers. €15 approximately.
- songsinirish.com – A great website which has hundreds of songs as Gaeilge. It categorises songs into traditional, pop songs, Christmas songs etc. so it is really easy to find what you are looking for. It gives the lyrics in Irish and in English, as well as including the chords and a video of the song.
- RTÉjr – Bígí ag Ceol – A YouTube channel which has songs and raps with lyric videos for children of all ages.
- Gaelbhratach Oifigiúil – A YouTube channel which has songs for all class levels. Songs are sorted by theme which is helpful if you are looking for something specific.
- Padlet – This is a fantastic compilation of amhráin do pháistí by Máire Nic an Rí.
Do you know any other great resources for Irish songs for primary school teachers? If so, please leave a comment below!